Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Reading Marathon

I recently had a Read-a-thon in my class. I got the idea from the  fabulous in fourth blog. I thought it looked cute and fun so I tried it. I even encouraged one of my team members to try it and she did. The reading marathon is where students spend 110 minutes reading. But it isn't your normal silent reading time. The marathon has ten minute rounds. 


Round 1- Create a new book cover.
Round 2- Read
Round 3- Tell three details about your favorite character then draw a picture of the character.
Round 4- Read
Round 5- Summarize what you have read.
Round 6- Read
Round 7- Draw a visualization.
Round 8- Read
Round 9- Write three questions or I Wonders....
Round 10- Read
Round 11- Write a connection and/or theme from the book.




My students had a wonderful time completing this activity. They have been begging me to do it again soon. I would highly suggest trying this activity if you can fit it into your schedule. It incorporated many different skills and it is something your students will enjoy.






No comments:

Post a Comment